Thursday, August 20, 2015

Apples to applesauce

Yesterday we got to go pick apples for free!  We had a great time with our friends, the Pugmires.  (Thanks Julia!!) We got lots of apples and could have plucked more, but what do you do with all those apples?  
Eole and Shelby behind the ladder, Davyn, Vivian and Jared on the ladder rung.

I had always wanted to try making applesauce so today we did it!  I used about 15 or 16 apples and used this recipe "Easy, No-Peel Applesauce" from my sweet sister-in-law, Kelly.
Shelby colored while I sliced and cored the apples.  (Jared was napping and Vivian was...supposed to be napping.)  Then, easy-peasy ~ boil and blend!

It was super yummy warm with some cinnamon!  I have about 1/3 in the fridge and the other 2/3s in the freezer.  I'm excited to try it once it's cold.  So far I'm very impressed at how easy it was and how good it tastes.  

I'm planning a taste test for all of us: store bought vs. homemade.  :)  

1 comment:

  1. Great job Sharon! Sounds yummy. One year we made pie filling in bags with apples, but it was a ton of work! I was secretly happy when the apple tree died after a few years. 😁

    ReplyDelete